repost­ed from
April 2, 2013

With only two weeks to go to file your 2012 tax return, you prob­a­bly have ques­tions. Whether you pre­pare your own tax return or pay some­one to do it for you, we are here to help. Every day until April 15, mem­bers of the Amer­i­can Insti­tute of Cer­ti­fied Pub­lic Accoun­tants have agreed to answer tax ques­tions from USA TODAY read­ers. Sub­mit your ques­tions to

Today’s ques­tion:

Q: I am 73 and I can­not item­ize my deduc­tions (I will use the stan­dard deduc­tion of $7,400). My ques­tion: I heard there was a way to deduct my prop­er­ty tax ($4,600) while uti­liz­ing the stan­dard deduc­tion. Is this still allowed?

A: Unfor­tu­nate­ly, this is not still allowed, and there is no way to deduct your prop­er­ty tax­es on your fed­er­al income tax return with­out itemizing.

Five years ago, Con­gress passed a bill allow­ing a sin­gle per­son to deduct up to $500 of prop­er­ty tax­es on a pri­ma­ry res­i­dence in addi­tion to their stan­dard deduc­tion. The lim­it was $1,000 for a mar­ried cou­ple fil­ing jointly.

Unfor­tu­nate­ly, this pro­vi­sion was only put in place for 2 years, so for the years 2008 and 2009, a per­son could deduct at least a por­tion of their prop­er­ty tax­es, even if they were not itemizing.

The Tax Relief, Unem­ploy­ment Insur­ance Reau­tho­riza­tion and Job Cre­ation Act of 2010 extend­ed some tax breaks, but this tax break was allowed to expire and has nev­er been reinstated.;

The instruc­tions to for the 2010 Form 1040 on the IRS web­site lists expired tax ben­e­fits on page 6. For more infor­ma­tion on item­ized and stan­dard deductions:

Fre­quent­ly asked ques­tions for item­ized and stan­dard deductions

Mack­ey McNeill, CPA
Mack­ey Advi­sors, Belle­vue, Ky.

To read more Tax Q&A or read Mack­ey’s response on please click here.