Did you know that pollution exposure is most often greater inside the home than outside your doorstep? In fact the US EPA estimates that the average American home has a 100x’s higher pollution level than that of the great outdoors. There are many, many things that keep our indoor situation icky, but here are 5 quick tips to create a healthier home.
- At the end of the day when you get home and kick your feet up make sure they are shoeless! Think of all the “crap” you step in on a daily basis. Don’t bring that into your house. Institute a shoeless policy, or invest in an industrial strength doormat to keep you, your little ones, and your pets safe and your floors clean.
- Baking soda isn’t just for the refrigerator anymore. It can be used as a deodorizer for carpets or upholstery as well! Just shake it on, let it sit 10 to 15 minutes & vacuum away pesky odors.
- Don’t spend money of store-bought air fresheners. Instead, try boiling some cinnamon, clover, or bake some chocolate chip cookies to give your home a warm and cozy scent.
- Re-decorate your home with plants! They are Mother Nature’s air filter. If it’s good enough for her then it’s good enough for us.
- You would be amazed at how far a little vinegar & baking soda will go. Check out “How to Make a Non-Toxic Cleaning Kit” by Annie Bond. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/make-your-own-non-toxic-cleaning-kit.html